For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Saturday, September 15, 2007

PurposeFinder #3

1.Person: What do I value? Who do I want to be?

2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?

I like thinking, coming up with ideas.

It’s a safe/uncontested/unconfrontational space/allows me to be creative.

3. Problems: What social, science, technical, and/or personal problems do I want to solve?

Problem of empowering women and getting people to think about the ways in which ideas about gender impact and limit the possibilities for creating social change.

4. People: Who do I want to serve?

Women and young people/students 15-25.

5. Place: Where do I want to impact?

Specifically in Africa and in the Caribbean.

6. Pain: What am I trying to heal or positively impact?

Silences around gender/racial oppression.

7. Power: What motivates/inspires me?

Learning, writing/poetry, art, music, honesty, nurturing, kindness, simplicity

8. Picture: What's my vision?

9. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?

Amina Mama, Judith Byfield, Robin Kelley, Audrey Brown, Gail Smith, Audre Lourde, Alexis Gumbs, Climbing Poetry,

10. Path: What are the steps? What are my short and long term goals?

11. Pressures: What internal and external life forces are affecting me right now?

Right now, there are many external life forces that are affecting me. First, a big challenge has been this really stupid decision I made to help a friend, whom I was also dating, by marrying him to help him get “papers.” The result has been very many financial problems and has left

12. Positioning: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at?

13. Potential: Why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?

Why do I believe I can do it- ? Right now, I don’t believe I can. I don’t feel as though I am in a space to motivate/nurture myself, and I am certainly not in a space where I can receive such nurturance in the first place.

No comments: