For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

PurposeFinder #6

1. Person: What do I value? Who do I want to be?

I value family most, both those I know and those to come (e.g., my children). I want to be the liberator of my family. I want my wife, my children, my parents, and all of those close to me to be free. I want them to be able to live the lives they want without being financial constrained. Ultimately, I want myself to be free but I put my family before me. I also want to be a man of God and help other people find themselves and live their lives through Jesus Christ.

2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?

I love marketing. I love advertising. I love communicating with future customers and helping them understand why the relationship should be mutually beneficial.

I love consumer insights. I love being able to take insights and turn them into strategies that create value for your customers whether that value is in the message, the product, the strategy, etc.

I love growing a business. I like taking something and making it larger than it was before.

I love interacting with people (when I’m in control).

I love all of it because it is fun, challenging, personally rewarding, and makes me feel like I am doing big things.

3. Problems: What social, science, technical, and/or personal question do I want to answer?

How do you help the black community improve who they are and how they are perceived?

4. People: Who do I want to serve?

My family.

My spiritual community.

Underprivileged minorities, specifically blacks.

5. Place: Where do I want to impact?

Same as above.

6. Pain: What am I trying to heal or positively impact?

Same as above.

7. Power: What motivates/inspires me?

My family.

Impacting my community.

8. Picture: What's my vision?

My vision is similar to number one. I see a world where my family is following their dreams, has all of their needs supplied, and has no financial concerns impacting their lives or their decisions.

9. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?

My role models can be broken down into three stages and are interestingly enough there is no one individual.

My desire to impact family: My mom. She made so many sacrifices for family that I desire to do the same thing. Every millionaire I have met. They have set the stage to let me know that it is possible to provide for your family in the way I desire.

My spirituality: My mother. She has taught me what having a relationship with God is like.

My community: There is no one model, just a lot of people who are impacting the world around them.

10. Path: What are the steps? What are my short and long term goals?

My short term goals…

Family: Invest in a career that is exciting, challenging, rewarding, and lucrative. The knowledge and skills I learn in this career should set me up to be a successful entrepreneur in the future.

Spirituality: Invest in my spiritual growth. Pray daily, go to church weekly, and find spiritual mentors.

My community: Give back to my community. Serve as a mentor, and impact lives however possible.

My long term goals…

Family: Make at least $15MM through a successful startup (or series of startups) enabling my family and myself to do what we truly want to do and enabling me to be the father I want (go to my children’s games without having to ask for permission, take my family to visit the world, etc).

Spirituality: Serve in my church and my community as a spiritual mentor and spiritual role model. Live a Godly life that is true to how Jesus has called me to live.

My community: Start organizations that will impact underprivileged minority communities in a way like never before.

11. Pressures: What internal and external life forces are affecting me right now?

I am in transition. I am changing jobs, functions, industries, cities, states, cultures, environments, careers, everything. I don’t believe any force can hold me back, but that is what I am dealing with TODAY.

12. Positioning: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at?

I want to master being able to talk to my customers, identify their needs, and grow successful organizations/businesses. I want everything I touch to be gold; I want to be able to start an organization/business and it “pop!”

13. Potential: Why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?

Because I believe God watches over me and gives me favor as long as I follow his will and his way. I try my hardest to do that and have so far been very successful.

No comments: