For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Monday, September 24, 2007

PurposeFinder #4

1. Person: What do I value? Who do I want to be?
I want to make the most relatable, uplifting, and moving movies ever.

2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
Getting into writing, storyboarding stories that I create, speaking correct Japanese, reading/watching well written stories

3. Problems: What social, science, technical, and/or personal problems do I want to solve?
I'd like to get over my own problems by immersing myself into someone’s story, one that I create. In the process I hope others will be able to relate and feel themselves in the situations I create.

4. People: Who do I want to serve?
Any one, any age, that is going through unbearable pain.

5. Place: Where do I want to impact?
Everywhere people have a chance to see my films.

6. Pain: What am I trying to heal or positively impact?
Broken self-esteem, those that feel off track, the underdog.

7. Power: What motivates/inspires me?
Films/TV shows that drive me to tears.
Films that break old barriers to film storytelling (The Matrix, 3-Iron(all silent drama))
Chilling but moving stories

8. Picture: What's my vision?
I want my films to be rich enough such that people don’t just watch once, but watch multiple times the way they play a good song over and over.

9. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
Yoko Kamio, the writer of Hana Yori Dango (a Japanese TV drama)
Steve Conrad (Weather Man and Pursuit of Happyness writer)
Ki-duk Kim (3-Iron director)

10. Path: What are the steps? What are my short and long term goals?
Make a love story short film this year.
Win at the Student Academy Awards.
Write a screenplay about a Ghanaian father living in Tokyo.
Work as a writer or director’s assistant in Tokyo.
Direct my first feature film in 5 years.
Win an Oscar or Academy Award in 7 years.

11. Pressures: What internal and external life forces are affecting me right now?
Self-doubt due to lack of skill recognition (i.e. from people that are not friends or family)
No close, true friends
Japanese not as good as it should be
Will I make enough money to survive in the future?
Search for a potential wife

12. Positioning: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at?
I want to be #1 director of uplifting and realistic dramas.

13. Potential: Why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
I was able to become a much better storyboard artist over the past 3 months so I believe in a few years I can become the best at creating the most visually riveting films.

No comments: