For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Purposefinder #10

Part 1: Where I am

1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?

I value being a good person, treating people with respect and optimism and extending myself to help in all situations when possible. I love being the type of friend, sister, daughter and contributor who makes people feel that what I do to help is genuine and sincere. I believe in creating an environment (physically and within my "aura" {don't know what other word to use to explain this}) that is positive and productive (that is, when confronted with a problem, don't mire in it, look for a solution and be proactive)


2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?

This is a difficult question for me because I feel that living in NYC doesn't put me that close to what I really love to do. For now, I live here for practicality to build wealth so I can pursue my long term goal(s). What I truly love doing is working with people, may it be working with high school kids at the Red Hook Farm or building homes in Mexico for Habitat for Humanity, in a forward thinking fashion that help them also build purpose and a sense of the world. I love this because to me, life is about effecting other people no matter how great or small.


3. Problems & Pain: What social, science, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?

Inequities that stop people from developing confidence and finding some thing(s) that make them happy or able to lead a fulfilled life. Having been raised in within a privileged "class structure" in Bangkok, I grew up believing that any pursuit in life is try-able or attainable. In my long term (when I'm approximately 50), I want to go back to Thailand and work with women and children to help them steer away from professions that stunt their emotional and financial lives.


4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

There are 2 groups I'd like to serve. In the states, I enjoy working with youths to help them learn and grow – youths whose parents or guardian may not have as much time because they have to work multiple jobs, manage their house, etc. In Thailand, I want to help women – especially those along the borders (which I've done before) who have very little access and societal value.

Part 2: Where I'm going

5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?

My vision for myself and the world are intertwined. I hardly ever/more like never think of myself going through life by myself. Even within the most inanimate ways, I feel that my actions, what I throw away impact my environment (I compost, recycle, bike, etc). I think treating people around you and creating an environment of respect is important – and this is what I envision for myself and the world. I also believe that by treating people around you and the environment this way, it has domino and exponential effects.


6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?

This was my father but he is no longer physically present. My role models currently are made of my friends and professional peers whose individual great qualities add up to a set of values I aspire for myself. I don't have one role model or mentor.


7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?

I don't really want to be #1 in the world at any thing specific. This concept doesn't resonate for me. What I want to be able to do is to make my long term goal possible.


8. Possibility: If you knew that success was guaranteed, what would you attempt to accomplish?

Doing away with inequity and judgment in this world. I feel that without those two things, humans would lead a more peaceful, productive and supportive lives.

No comments: