For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Purposefinder #12

1. Person: What do I value? Who do I want to be?
I value TRUTH, beauty, and love. I highly value thinking for oneself. I value having and maintaining values/standards. I value relativity- therefore I value birth, life, death, and life after death equivalently.
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
I love making connections. Whether they be human, spiritual,/metaphysical, with nature, with history, with literature, music, dance, or any and every other art form. I love making these connections because it reminds me that we are here to wonder, to discover, to contemplate, and finally, because I believe that we are here just to immerse ourselves in it all.

3. Problems: What social, science, technical, and/or personal question do I want to answer?
How can I be of aid to those I cannot understand morally or intellectually? I am impatient and I can become significantly impatient with shallow people. At this time in my life, I have been cutting ties because it is the only way I currently know how to ensure that other people's negativity and immorality will not effect me in any physiological way. Is it worth it for me, to attempt to be there for those who want to hurt me (even if it's only because they themselves, are hurting)??
4. People: Who do I want to serve?
I want to serve/help those who are honest and ready, within themselves, to be helped.
5. Place: Where do I want to impact?
I am hoping to impact and touch areas and regions belonging to all those who are seeking inspiration and even those who were unaware that they needed to be inspired. In short, the world.
6. Pain: What am I trying to heal or positively impact?
I am trying to heal the human conditioning of a society that has restricted the definition of "success" to strangulating limitations of synthetic, false icons of what "happiness" is and should be, therefore generating a population of individuals who are either too lost in their sadness and/or confusion to contribute to positive change within themselves and others. I am hoping to positively impact, those who are ready to think and act beyond societal confinements in order to enrich our life on earth now, until the end.
7. Power: What motivates/inspires me?
Witnessing integrity, generosity, and compassion gives me hope- soul-feeding music, righteous and delectable usage of language, and gracious, innovative, and diligent energy/action inspires me.
8. Picture: What's my vision?
Me, sitting on top of a far-off peak, after accomplishing "the impossible", taking in a sunset and being at genuine peace within myself to last me the rest of my days...
9. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
Humble educators. Avid, sincere listeners. Souful linguists. My Mom. Salma Hayek.
10. Path: What are the steps? What are my short and long term goals?
Steps: Seek out myself (self-knowledge). Appreciate every breath. (perspective). Conscious TLC of MBS. (mind, body, soul.) Dream. Act. Accomplish. Love. Live. Learn.
Short-term: Obtain my damn undergrad degree!! ;-) Hold down a dope internship. Contemplate business school, Consistantly volunteer, travel, write, learn.
Long-term: Run/own/found a for-prof business AND non-prof business, Educate Youth, Uplift people through the arts as my career, consistantly volunteer, travel, write, learn, and thoroughly enjoy.

11. Pressures: What internal and external life forces are affecting me right now?
External: School. Internships. The pressure to succeed. Unethical, limited-thinking, selfish, sociopathic PEOPLE.
Internal: Impatiently trying to find the answers to all my questions at once. An incontrovertible sadness within, that I just can't shake... I feel like I'm in a constant state of being heartbroken.. hoping to figure out how to channel this in the most conducive way.

12. Positioning: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at?
I want to master the art of LISTENING and having patience. I want to be #1 in the world at reaching my highest potential.
13. Potential: Why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
I believe that I can do it because I am an incredibly fast learner, a young, alarmingly eager soul with a deeply compassionate heart. I am in an unrelenting search of goodness and I am fascinated with the beauty of the unknown- I'm hoping that this will keep me going... :)

No comments: