For those of you in search of purpose, look no further than within yourselves. Here are 8 questions (that only you can answer) which can help you create a purpose statement for your life. Your purpose is not a destination; it is more of a guiding compass that helps you make decisions. Our ultimate destination will be determined by the small decisions we make every day, therefore, it is important to make sure that our choices are in line with where we want to go. Take a moment to answer these questions for yourself and see what you come up with.

Part 1: Where am I?
1. Principles: What do I value? What beliefs govern my life?
2. Passions: What do I love doing and why?
3. Problems & Pain: What social, scientific, technical, and/or personal question or pain do I want to solve?
4. People & Place: Who do I want to serve and where?

Part 2: Where am I going?
5. Picture: What's my vision for myself and the world?
6. Pioneers: Who are my models? Mentors? Guides?
7. Positioning & Potential: What do I want to master? What do I want to be #1 in the world at? And why do I believe that I can do it? Why am I the one?
8. Possibility: How will people experience life differently because of me?

You can read other people's responses below and/or
submit your responses here & scroll down

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Purposefinder #15

  1. I value equal opportunity, I am most comfortable in instances where people have equal access to the tools necessary to succeed. I value fairness and decency. I want to be someone who impacts peoples lives. I want to be someone who is known for helping others and helping myself. I want to be someone who is successful by many of societies standards (wealth, beauty, lifestyle) and my own (fun, impact, legacy).

  1. I enjoy speaking with people. I am fascinated by new ideas and peoples personal perspectives on (X). In many cases I like to analyze there thoughts to check for soundness in there thinking. If I find a fault, I do not seek to crush them, but instead I prefer to bring it to there attention so that they can continue down there road to success. I enjoy anticipating how someone is going to react to something. Empathy come naturally for me in many instances and I like to check to see how I am doing with empathizing.

  1. The social problems that I am most interested in is giving black males in particular a fair shot at the “big leagues” I have seen first hand how a lack of exposure, limits you potential and your scope. If this in combination with equal access to the success toolbox is offered to black males, I believe that a sizable number of them will rise to the challenge.

  1. I want to make impact for the black males that I mentioned above. I want to make impact in my world as well. I want to be able to create a legacy that is arouses admiration and awe.

  1. I want to impact those in the inner cities, because it is they who have the most to gain from more exposure. The need it the most.

  1. I am motivated by personal experience. I know what it is like to not offered opportunities even thought you have all the right assets. With this knowledge in mind I can just imagine what it is like to not have those assets, not have the proper presentation and presence. You are well on your way to failing. I am inspired by those who make a goal and pursue it with everything that they have. Whether the fail or succeed, being a beast and chasing your dreams are the total inspiration.

  1. I envision an environment that equips all with equal access to the tools they need, and watch them go at it. May the best win.

  1. My models are the people who have been successful by societal norms as well as by their own terms. “I can’t help the poor if I am one of them, so I got rich and gave back now that is the win win.”



  1. I would like to positively impact those that need it the most, without having to sacrifice myself. I do not believe that I have to live the life of a sufferer in order to accomplish my goals.



  1. Short term goal is to make myself more marketable, through extra curricular activities (school, orgs etc.). Figure out what and who I am designed to be professionally. My long term goal is to be an expert. I am not sure in what or in what capacity, but I would like the opportunity to be a SME (subject matter expert) on a topic or issue of importance to me. The steps that I need to get to my short and long term goals really revolve around me discovering what type of life/ career I want to pursue. Without that, I am just out there searching and moving forward in the dark. I am waiting for that “lightblub” moment.

  1. The internal forces that are affecting me the most right now is the idea that I am not living up to my full potential. I have this gut wrenching feeling that I am behind where I want to and should be. I feel a bit aimless, which as a structured thinker is scary. I would say that the external forces are having just as much of an impact on me on a day to day basis. I see many of my classmates entering there third year of law school or at various stages of med school and I can’t help but wonder “man these used to be my peers” and now I am lagging behind. In addition because I want to be able to maintain a comfortable lifestyle of course the money thing comes in play as well. I feel like I should have a higher level of well being where money is concerned, but because of some of the decisions that I have made, I am not.

  1. Positioning? ? ? ? NO CLUE (This is my biggest problem)

  1. I believe that everyone has a purpose on this earth. There is nothing more interesting and pleasing to me, to see a master at work or watching someone discover what they were put on this earth to do. I feel like there is such a purpose for me and my immediate task is to find out what that is.

No comments: